Law School Musical: A Playlist Featuring the #1 Hits from All Your Favourite Courses!
This playlist has been carefully curated by Shaileja Verma, Nikita Garg, Chandni Ochani, and Simranjyot Kaur (Batch of 2019).
Mixing recent hits with the old-time favourites, this playlist is a pure throwback to our time at Law School. With the current pause on our lives, why not rewind and hit play on our favourite highlights from these courses over five years. So, look for a comfy corner, plug in those earphones, and dive right in!
If you like a tune, add it to your library. Here is the link to this playlist for Spotify.
1) Economics – Daft Punk’s Instant Crush for the marginal utility that never diminishes as far as our in-house RAW agent is concerned.
2) History – Arctic Monkeys’ Do I Wanna Know (what is history)? Psst, E.H. Carr says it’s a continuous process of interaction between the historian and his facts.
3) Legal Methods – Nelly Furtado’s Maneater because where would we be without the Case of the Speluncean Explorers?
4) Torts I – Drake’s God’s Plan for lessons on the Acts of God, because even in the legal world, “upar wale ki marzi thi” (“it’s God’s will”) is a defence.
5) Torts II – Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie, because even though puffery is permissible, misleading advertisements are not. Jaago Grahak, Jaago! (Wake up customer, wake up!)
6) Sociology – Luis Fonsi’s Despacito because just like the lyrics, we had no idea what Michel Foucault was trying to say.
8) Political Science – Jonas Brothers’ What a Man Gotta (ought to) Do? was a question which haunted us all the way till the exam hall, courtesy an all-nighter studying political obligation.
9) Constitutional Law – Lauv and Troye Sivan’s I’m so tired… of learning those countless case names (but I must carry on because I also want those brownie points for remembering their citations).
10) Family Law – Taylor Swift’s Bad Blood for what started all the familial drama and left us dealing with Prof. Sarasu’s mind-boggling succession problems.
11) Criminal Law – Green Day’s 21 Guns for the times we watched Prof. Joga Rao “thak-thak” his way into our hearts and memories forever.
12) Jurisprudence I – Black Eyed Peas’ no, no, no, no, Don’t Phunk with My ‘Hart’ because there’s a debate Fuller’s ready to start.
13) Property Law – Kesha’s Timber for helping us remember that ‘standing timber’ is movable while trees aren’t.
14) Land Laws – Jason Derulo’s Tip Toe because that’s what we did five minutes into, and out of, each class.
15) Law, Poverty & Development – Miley Cyrus’ Wrecking Ball because LPD came in like one right when we thought we had a ‘chill’ trimester.
16) Law of Evidence – Elvis Presley’s Can’t Help Falling in Love for the wise man who taught this course and made us love the law, so much so that we still remember his definition of hearsay.
17) Civil Procedure Code – The Pussycat Dolls’ Wait a Minute because that’s what anyone who hoped to make it before Prof. Shankara locked the classroom door, wanted. P.S. He did not wait a minute.
18) Jurisprudence II – Nelly’s Just a (Bad) Dream we all wanted to wake up from.
19) Corporate Law – Post Malone’s Circles because no class would be complete without Prof. Pillai circling back to pierce the Salomon v. Salomon corporate veil.
20) Alternative Dispute Resolution – Dua Lipa’s New Rules because hey, who wants to learn how to lose-win, when we can win-win.
21) Drafting of Pleading & Conveyancing – Shakira’s Can’t Remember to Forget You, for those word-for-word, letter-for-letter, and line-for-line conveyances you couldn’t afford to forget.
22) International Law – Priyanka Chopra’s Exotic for our desi dils (Indian hearts) learning some pardesi (foreign) laws.
23) Labour Law – Rihanna’s Work (work, work, work, work, work) even as the laws we studied are being tinkered with.
24) Human Rights Law – John Lennon’s Imagine for the dreamers amongst us, who, like Lennon, imagine a world with no religion, hunger and greed.
25) Professional Ethics – Imagine Dragon’s Bad Liar in honour of all of the bad “laa-yer” sneer that may come our way if we forget to play fair every day.
26) Environmental Law – Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me a River because that’s what we’ll have to do when there are none left.
27) Intellectual Property Rights Law – Billie Eilish’s Copycat is what you’ll be if you use any of these songs© without permission.
28) Taxation Law – Rihanna’s B*tch Better Have My Money because 2764187 Sections of the Income Tax Act, 1961 say exactly that.
29) Litigation Advocacy/Trial – Sam Smith’s Too Good at Goodbyes because while he may have been, with Law School coming to an end, we weren’t.
30) And in honour of the “one last, one last, one last” chants that would echo in the quad at end of a party, Maroon 5’s Memories, ‘Cause the drinks bring back all the memories; And the memories bring back, memories bring back, you.
We’d love to hear if these songs struck a chord with you and what you relate each course with!